Just Breathe: 6 Ways to Beat Holiday Stress
Does holiday stress get you down? You’re not alone. This is a difficult time of year for many people. And stress is not to be taken lightly, as it can cause major health problems or make existing problems worse if you don’t learn to manage it.
For this reason, we here at Transforming Healthcare will continue to post stress-reducing tips periodically throughout the season.
One of the best ways to deal with stress is also one of the simplest: deep breathing. Try it a couple of times every day. Here’s how to do it:
- Lie down on a flat surface or sit in a chair.
- Place one hand on your stomach, just above your navel. Place the other hand on your chest.
- Slowly count to four and inhale through your nose. Try to make your stomach rise a little.
- Hold your breath for one second.
- Slowly count to four while you exhale through your mouth. To control how fast you exhale, purse your lips like you’re going to whistle. Your stomach will slowly fall.
- Repeat 5-10 times.