Advice From 3 GMC Working Moms

In honor of International Nurses’ Day, Nurses’ Week, Women’s Health Day and Women’s Checkup Day, here’s some advice from three of our working mothers at Gwinnett Medical Center.


Cathie Brazell, RN, assistant vice president of Clinical Operations at Gwinnett Medical Center, says, “Put your own oxygen mask on first, just like they tell you on an airplane. If you don’t put your own health needs first, you’ll let down those who count on you. Schedule your own checkups, make your healthy diet a priority, find time for exercise and make time to get enough sleep.”





Lea Bay, president of Gwinnett Medical Center-Duluth, and mother of 10-year-old twins, says, “I had my children when I was a bit older, and I realized that I had to find time to exercise if I wanted to be able to keep up with them and dance at their weddings. The only time I had was early in the morning, so I started meeting a friend to run at 5:30 a.m. That’s since become one of my favorite events of the day. So my advice is to find an activity you enjoy and a buddy to do it with, and make it a habit.”



Carol Danielson, RN, chief nurse executive for Gwinnett Health System, says, “So often, especially in nursing, our emotions get overwhelmed as we care for patients and families in crisis. My advice is to develop ways to leave work at work. Plan fun dates with your spouse. See funny movies with your kids. Go for walks, or play tennis with friends. Fill up your emotional reservoir with laughter and companionship, so you’ll be refreshed when you come back to work.”



Interested in learning more about career opportunities at Gwinnett Medical Center? Visit GMC’s job center online. There you can find out about our specialized clinical services, our allied health teams, and search job openings.


Need a physician? Find the perfect fit for your needs at gwinnettmedicalcenter.org/physician.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Your Gas Says About Your Health

5 Signs You May Have Heart Disease And Not Know It