Are You A Wise Guy?
Take our quiz to find out:
True or False?
1. On average, men live longer than women.
2. Men have higher suicide rates than women.
3. If a man experiences lower back pain and a fever, he probably just overdid it at the gym or on the golf course.
4. Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer among men.
1. False. But the gap appears to be closing. Women live an average of 81.1 years and men, 76.2, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That’s a difference of 4.9 years, compared with a gap of 7.8 years in 1979.
2. True. Men are four times more likely to commit suicide, reports the CDC, so speak up about any depression or anxiety you may be feeling. Your doctor can recommend treatment options.
3. False. The likely culprit is prostatitis, an inflammation of the prostate gland. It is characterized by lower back pain, fever, chills and painful urination. There is no evidence that prostatitis leads to cancer, and it is usually treated with medication.
4. False. Skin cancer is the most common form among men, according to the National Cancer Institute. Prostate cancer is second. Conduct monthly head-to-toe skin examinations and talk to your healthcare provider about an annual screening.
It’s National Men’s Health Week – if dad, brother, son, friend needs a check-up, but never seems to get around to it, help him out. Call 678-312-5000 to find a physician. Then help him book that appointment. He’ll be glad you did.