Foodie Friday: Garden Fresh Gazpacho
This classic chilled tomato soup is the perfect dish to cool you down on those hot summer nights.
- 4 c. tomato juice
- ½ medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, peeled, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, pared, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 drop hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. minced chives or scallion tops
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Put 2 c. tomato juice and all other ingredients except diced tomato, chives and lemon wedges into a blender. Puree.
- Slowly add the remaining 2 cups of tomato juice to pureed mixture. Add diced tomato.
- Serve icy cold in individual bowls garnished with minced chives and lemon wedges.
Serving size: 1 cup
Serving stats: 87 calories, 5 g total fat, less than 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium.
To cut back on sodium, try low-sodium tomato juice.
Find more great summer recipes on our boards at pinterest.com/gwinnettmedical.