Foodie Friday: Teriyaki Chicken And Pasta with Spicy Vegetables
Give broccoli and carrots a starring role at dinner. You’ll benefit from the healthful vitamins and antioxidants found in dark green and orange vegetables while you fill up on fewer calories.
3 c. broccoli florets (about ½ lb.)
4 oz. spaghetti
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast half, cut into bite-size pieces
1⁄3 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ c. teriyaki sauce
1 tsp. hot chili-flavored oil
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces.
- Pare carrots.
- Cut into 1½-inch lengths, then lengthwise into quarters.
- Bring large pot of water to boiling.
- Add vegetables; cook 3 minutes.
- Drain; set aside.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion.
- Cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add chicken.
- Cook 2 minutes per side.
- Add broth and scrape up browned bits in skillet.
- Stir in teriyaki sauce and chili-flavored oil.
- Return broccoli and carrots to skillet.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti; heat through.
Makes 4 (1½-cup) servings.
Nutritional information per serving: 266 calories, 7 g total fat, 18.5 g protein, 32.5 g carbohydrates, 2.5 mg cholesterol, 461 mg sodium and 3.75 g dietary fiber.
For more healthy recipes, browse our boards at pinterest/gwinnettmedical.