Foodie Friday: The Scoop on Dried Fruit
Did you know that April 30 is National Raisin Day?
While we often think of raisins and other dried fruit as not-so-exciting additions to cereal, muffins or trail mix, these dehydrated bits can have a bigger role in a healthy diet. Here are some health benefits of dried fruit, plus some things to watch out for:
- Most of the nutrition of the fresh fruit is still in the dried fruit
- The concentrated sweet taste may help you replace cookies, candy and other non-nutritious sweets with a small amount of dried fruit
- Dried fruit is a great, portable snack that needs no refrigeration, no cutting and no special packaging
Watch out for:
- Mindless noshing on dried fruits can lead to a lot of sugar and calories fast
- Some dried fruits have added sugar (like dried cranberries)
- Dried fruits should not make up the majority of fruit in your diet. It’s okay from time to time, though.
How GMC Can Help